Upon graduation of the Homeward Bound program, each participant becomes a member of a global alumnae network (which we aim to number 10,000 by 2036). This network is called The Convergence, and it was so-named by members of the first graduating Homeward Bound cohort.
The name reflects two phenomena that parallel key aspects of the Homeward Bound initiative:
- The Antarctic Convergence is a significant natural boundary – unique to this polar region – where the relatively warm waters of the world’s southern oceans meet the cold, north-flowing Antarctic waters. Crossing this threshold means entering a zone rich in marine, land and bird life that is rare on the other side. For the participants of Homeward Bound, crossing this threshold also serves as a metaphor in their leadership development journey. Having completed 11 months of their program largely online, once on-board together and voyaging into Antarctic waters, they cross into exploring unique personal and collective territory, rich with diverse and meaningful experiences.
- ‘To converge’ is to meet, to come together. The HB alumnae network is a space in which women sharing a background in STEMM and the experience of Homeward Bound also bring a unique combination of talents, skills and passions. In this space, there is opportunity for connection and collaborations that can serve as a testament to the greater power of ‘we’ rather than ‘I’.
The naming and subsequent framework of representation that was set up by the cohort also reflects a key tenet of Homeward Bound – that this is a collaborative endeavour, shaped by the feedback and ownership taken by all those involved, not just a few ‘at the top’ of a leadership structure.
The Convergence Steering Committee (TCSC)
The Convergence Steering Committee (TCSC) is an independent body, created and maintained by committed cross-cohort volunteers from Homeward Bound alumnae.
Facilitating a network of Homeward Bound participants, the Convergence, who are driving change for our planet.
To facilitate cross-cohort connections between the Convergence, the network of women involved in STEMM.
The objectives of the TCSC are to:
Encourage collaborations, information exchange and support between different cohorts of Homeward Bound to strengthen the Convergence;
- Encourage collaborations, information exchange and support between different cohorts of Homeward Bound to strengthen the Convergence;
- Serve as link between the Convergence and other parts of Homeward Bound; and
- Enhance visibility of and access to alumnae led groups and activities.
You can meet and connect with the TCSC here.